Authorities say a teenager died from injuries sustained in a single-vehicle accident in Burnet County in the early morning hours of July 1, according to the Statesman.
About the Burnet County Accident
Joseph Alaniz, 19 was killed in a car accident at around 3:00 a.m. early Tuesday morning. The car he was a passenger in, a 2007 Mazda 3, rolled over after the driver of the vehicle swerved to avoid hitting a deer. The accident happened on FM 1431 road, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Among the other passengers in the vehicle were the driver Brandon Cook, 18; Vasantha Fraser; and Drequan Meyers. Cook and Fraser were listed in stable condition, while Meyers was listed as being in critical condition. All four teens were wearing their safety belts at the time of the crash.
Texas Car Accident Statistcs
The following information is provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- Based on reportable crashes on 2013, 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- Single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,333 deaths in 2013.
- In 2013 there were 767 people killed in crashes occurring in or around intersections.
- In 2013 June was the deadliest month with 336 deaths in traffic crashes.
- Restraints were not used in 44.7 % of fatal crashes in Texas in 2013.
- There were 65, 539 serious injuries sustained in traffic crashes in 2013.