An elderly man was killed late Wednesday evening when he was struck by a hit-and-run driver in Houston.
Driver Detained After Fleeing from the Scene
The Houston Chronicle reports the 64-year-old man was fatally hit by a car at 8700 Cullen Blvd near Knoxville St around 11:30 pm.
Police believe the man was walking along Cullen Blvd when he was hit by a blue Volkswagen Beetle – the man died at the scene.
The driver of the Beetle fled the scene. Fortunately, Pearland police officers spotted the car shortly after and detained the driver.
Police are still investigating the accident. Failure to stop and render aid in an accident involving death is a second degree felony in Texas, carrying a penalty of up to 20 years in prison and an optional penalty of up to $10,000.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) recorded 3,377 traffic related deaths in 2013. This marked a 1.05 percent from the 3,413 deaths the agency recorded in 2012.
- 485 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2013 and 48 pedalcyclists were killed.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents with 89,270 people sustaining serious injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2013, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.