Pokemon Go Player Crashes Vehicle
Details of the Collision
The driver of the vehicle was playing the recently released game Pokemon Go when he became distracted and crashed into a tree.
While the motorist did not sustain serious injuries, Auburn police are urging citizens to use common sense while driving and refrain from playing the game while driving.
Auburn Police Chief Shawn Butler offered the following recommendations for Pokemon Go players:
- Do not use the application when you are operating a motor vehicle or bicycle.
- Do not trespass on private property when trying to “catch” a Pokémon.
- Be aware of your surroundings when walking and do not stare down at your phone not knowing hazards around you, like roadways, drop-offs, waterways, etc.
- Use caution when sharing your location as strangers can see your location information.
- Travel in groups in public/well lit locations.
Distracted Driving Statistics
According to Driving and Texting Safety:
- 23% of car collisions in 2011 involved cell phone use approximately 1.3 million crashes.
- Texting makes crashes 23 times more likely.
- 77% of young adults are confident they can drive and text safely.