Corpus Christi police responded to the scene of a multi-car accident on State Highway 358 near the Crosstown Expressway early Friday morning.
More than 12 Vehicles Involved in Crosstown Crash
According to the Corpus Christi Caller Times, multiple wrecks left more than a dozen vehicles in a pileup near the Crosstown Expressway around 7:40 am.
Morning commuters experienced long delays near the Ayers Street exit as police and crews cleared the scene. Police Lt. Carlos Rios told reporters that between 12 to 15 cars were involved in the pileup.
It is unclear how the pileup occurred, but police noted there was fog in the area and asked drivers to exercise extra caution.
No injuries were reported.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Corpus Christi Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced Corpus Christi car accident lawyers have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.