The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) responded to a crash involving multiple vehicles on US 190, about 4.5 miles east of Livingston.
Details of the Fatal Polk County Crash
Initial investigations indicate that at around 6 p.m, a westbound 2009 Dodge pickup was travelling when, for unknown reasons, crossed over the center of the highway, striking the front left portion of the opposite bound 2008 Nissan SUV. Following the first collision, the Dodge spun off the road and hit a 2016 Ford SUV, which was stopped at a stop sign on Beech Creek Road. Following the second collision, the Nissan rolled over, ejecting both driver and passenger.
The driver of the Dodge has been identified as Jay Myers, 18, of Colmesneil, TX. Myers was treated at Conroe Regional Medical Center. The Nissan driver has been identified as Lional Kenebrew, 36, from Newton. Kenebrew had a 13-year-old passenger in the car and both were pronounced dead on the scene. Three other passengers in Kenebrew’s vehicle were sent to the hospital for treatment. 28-year-old Zachary Riley, of Livingston, was driving the Ford. Riley and his passengers were released after being treated at the scene. Investigation regarding details of the crash are still underway.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.