Mark Anthony Estrada, 22, accepted a sentence of five years in prison as part of an agreement with prosecutors in which he pleaded guilty to intoxication assault. The District Court Judge also sentenced him to an additional 210 days to serve for failing to stop and render aid after striking a pedestrian.
About the San Antonio Drunk Driving Accident
- According to the San Antonio Express-News, Estrada was driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.18 (more than twice the legal limit) and with marijuana in his system.
- He was driving in the wrong direction on a city street in San Antonio, Texas when he drove onto a downtown sidewalk and ran over Robert Hernandez sitting on the curb.
- Hernandez was dragged under Estrada’s vehicle and suffered many severe injuries, including a nearly severed ear and a badly broken left leg; he needed to have a skin graft for the road-rash injury to his back.
- After hitting Hernandez, Estrada kept driving, even after Hernandez was dislodged from underneath his vehicle.
- Estrada drove through a parking lot and back onto the street before he was halted in a traffic stop.
Texas Drunk Driving Statistics
- According to MADD, 1.2 million motorist are arrested from driving under the influence every year.
- In 2012, 10,322 people died in drunk driving wrecks – about 1 person every 51 minutes.
- Texas recorded 1213 drunk driving deaths in 2011, according to the Century Council.
Contact an Experienced DUI/DWI Accident Attorney
If you suspect you have been injured because of a drunk driver, contact an attorney with the experience and aggressiveness to handle your case. Contact Thomas J. Henry. We will ensure that you get the full monetary compensation you deserve. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.