Sherman Man Killed in Auto Accident
Details of the Sherman Accident
The accident occurred in the Westwood Village Shopping Center at the intersection of Sunset and West Houston.
Police are reporting the man was driving a red jeep at high speed when he crashed into another vehicle. The impact caused the car to collide with three other vehicles.
Police suspect the man may have suffered from a medical condition which caused the wreck. The victim, an unidentified man, was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
Following information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- Texas recorded a total of 3,377 traffic related fatalities in 2013, down from 3,413 in 2012.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in traffic incidents in Texas in 2013 with 89,270 people suffering serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data, TxDOT estimates:
- A reportable crash occurred in Texas every 71 seconds.
- One person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- One person was killed in an auto accident every 2 hours and 36 minutes.