A distraught mother is suing the Missouri Department of Transportation board along with a young driver who she claims were responsible for the death of her 11-year old child. The incident was recently reported in Springfield, Missouri.
About the Tragic Loss and Car Crash Incident
The child’s mother, Clorissa Tilden, reports one of the causes of her incident being due to the fact that she was forced into a dangerous guardrail while on the U.S. 65 highway.
Her report declares notice of precautions surrounding the guardrail and its hazards with a lack of adequate repair from the Missouri Department of Transportation.
The 18-year old driver of the other vehicle, Mikaila Koch, is also named in the lawsuit and has been charged with involuntary manslaughter due to speeding and distracted driving.
Both the Missouri board and Koch claim they are innocent of wrongdoing.
Statistics of Lives Lost to Car Crashes
According to the Association for Safe International Road Travel reports:
- Approximately 1.25 million people lose their lives in car accidents annually
- An average of 3,287 deaths a day
- Road crashes are the highest cause of death amongst young people (15-29)
- This is the second leading cause of death worldwide amongst the youth (5-14)
Tips to Prevent Car Crashes
- Focus on traffic at all times (blind spots, road signs, fellow drivers, etc. ) and cautiously merge into traffic if necessary
- Avoid using or engaging in distractive behavior such as texting or driving with one hand while occupying the other with a different activity
- Allow time to get to a particular location to avoid reckless speeding and stress
- Always watch for pedestrians and scan cars in your front, side, and rear view mirrors in advance
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.