The Garland Police Department has formally charged Jeffrey Christian with intoxication manslaughter following a fatal pedestrian accident.
About the Garland Pedestrian Accident
According to the Dallas Morning News, Christian fatally struck 58-year-old John Jasbring of Mesquite, Texas early Friday morning as Jasbring attempted to help a friend refuel a stalled SUV.
The SUV had run out of gas along the LBJ Freeway near Jupiter Road in Garland around 3 am. Jasbring struck the two men, killing Jasbring and injuring the other pedestrian.
The other man who was struck is expected to recover.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 people were killed in auto accidents in Texas in 2013 – this marked a 1.05 percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths recorded in 2012.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in Texas traffic collisions with 89,270 people sustaining serious injury.
- 1,089 of the deaths recorded in 2013 involved drivers who were under the influence of alcohol.
- Using available crash data, TxDOT estimates:
- 1 person was killed in an auto accident every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.