On Monday morning in San Augustine County, Texas, two vehicles were involved in a head-on collision that left one woman dead.
About The Head-On Collision
According to KTRE, the accident happened on Monday, September 15th, around 9:35 AM on Highway 21.
Hemphill resident Maratte Edgar Pearson, age 48, was driving west when she crossed the middle highway line. Her 2008 Chevrolet Malibu directly collided with a 2000 International electrical bucket truck, said the Texas Department of Public Safety.
The truck driver has been identified as Mike Miles McCauley, age 42, from San Augustine. There was also an unidentified passenger with McCauley.
Both were transported to San Augustine Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Justice of the Peace, Sheila Ponder, pronounced Pearson dead at the scene at 9:42 AM; only a few minutes after the head-on collision occurred.
No further information has been released and the investigation is still ongoing.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) recorded 3,377 traffic related deaths in 2013 – marking a 1.05 percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths recorded in 2012.
- 523 of those deaths were attributed to head on collisions and 1,883 occurred in rural areas.
- An additional 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas with 89,270 people suffering a serious injury.
- Using available crash data, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured in a Texas traffic accident every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.