A January 12th crash in Ellis County has claimed the lives of 31-year-old Carolina Ramirez and her 6-year-old son.
Information About the Fatal Crash
According to Dallas News, a pickup truck heading south struck Ramirez near White Rock Road shortly before 5:30 p.m. Ramirez and the 6-year-old boy were pronounced dead at the scene.
Two other passengers travelling with Ramirez, including an 8-year-old a girl and a 10-year-old boy, were taken to the hospital with injuries. Emergency responders air-lifted the 8-year-old girl to a Dallas children’s hospital.
The 31-year-old male driver of the pickup truck, an 8-year-old boy, and a 10-year-old girl were also taken to hospitals after suffering serious injuries.
Child Deaths From motor Vehicle Crashes
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of child deaths in the United States, with 723 children under the age of 12 dying from crash injuries in 2016 alone.
2017 Texas Automobile Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Automobile Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.