At least two people were hospitalized Monday after a Aransas County ISD bus was struck by a utility truck.
Authorities Investigate Rockport Bus Accident
KRIS-TV reports the bus had stopped on State Highway 35 to pick up students around 6:20 am when it was struck from behind by a utility truck.
Authorities said the bus had its lights flashing when the collision occurred.
There were two students and the bus driver aboard the bus when the accident happened. One of the students was taken to the hospital for evaluation after hitting his head. The utility truck driver was taken to the hospital by Halo Flight.
A third student was about to board the bus, but backed away just before the collision occurred.
Authorities are still investigating the incident.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 people were injured in auto accidents in 2013 – a 1.05-percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths recorded in 2012.
- 1,883 deaths occurred in rural areas, accounting for 55.76 percent of Texas’ traffic fatalities.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents with 89,270 people suffering serious injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2013, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in an auto accident every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.