San Antonio Addresses VIA Bus Accidents
An unfortunate rash of VIA bus accidents in San Antonio has caused concern among Bexar County residents.
San Antonio Pedestrian Struck by VIA Bus
- Juan Rangel Martinez, 70, was crossing San Saba Street by the intersection of W. Martin Street. While crossing, he was hit by a San Antonio VIA bus.
- The VIA Metropolitan Transit has not determined any fault and has reported that the investigation is ongoing.
San Antonio Pedestrian Accident Victims’s Family Attempts to Pay for Burial
- Mr. Martinez’s family is now struggling to pay for their loved one’s burial as they grieve his death.
- According to San Antonio Express News, the family held food sales Friday and Saturday with chicken, rice, beans, potato salad and sausage being sold at six dollars per plate.
- At six dollars a plate, they would need to sell six hundred and thirty three plates in order to cover the bills involved.
Juan Martinez’s Death Not a Unique Situation
- Unfortunately, Mr. Martinez’s tragic death doesn’t seem to be a unique situation.
- In July, VIA Metropolitan Transit insisted they were implementing policy changes after another bus accident which was allegedly caused by a driver’s fatigue behind the wheel.
- Being a part time driver, the VIA Metropolitan Transit’s conclusion was that the driver was tired from another job. With this in mind, the VIA Metropolitan Transit looked to eliminate some employees who work part time along with a full time position elsewhere.
- Of 1,200 operators, two hundred and seventy work as part time employees. Of that number, a third of these employees also have second jobs.
- Though the VIA Metropolitan Transit insists their policies are strict, the plethora of collisions and pedestrian accidents the city has experienced involving their bus drivers may be cause for concern for residents.
Contact an Experienced Bus Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry have handled a multitude of commercial vehicle accidents over the past two decades and continue to handle many of the largest 18-wheeler accident cases throughout the United States. Whether the company is small or large, our success is not an accident; it is because we understand how trucking companies operate. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
Thomas J. Henry are available to respond to truck and bus accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.