Attempt to Clean Up Pesticides Ends in the Deaths of Four Children
Clara Rose Ulken3 years ago
Water was used in an attempt to dilute a chemical pesticide under a trailer home after residents of the home began to feel sick. The chemical reaction of the water and pesticide toxic fumes that proved fatal to four children.
The Accident: How it Occurred and Who Was Involved
A pesticide, aluminum phosphide, was placed underneath a mobile home in Texas by a family who had received the pesticide from an acquaintance. Several family members began to report feeling sickened by the pesticide, so one family member attempted fix the issue by washing the pesticide away with water.
The reaction of water with aluminum phosphide creates a toxic phosphine gas which can create excess fluid in the lungs and lead to respiratory failure. This toxic reaction killed four children and hospitalized five other people. There were 10 people in the mobile home at the time.
The victims, an older sister and three younger brothers, were siblings whose ages ranged from 7 to 17. The 17-year-old, Yasmeen Balderas, was looking forward to her high school graduation.
The Amarillo Police Department is still investigating, however, it seems to be a case of accidental poisoning thus far, reports CNN news.
Pesticide Poisoning Statistics
According to CNN, an estimated 1 million to 5 million cases of pesticide poisoning occur each year, typically among agricultural workers.
The majority of pesticide poisonings occur in developing countries where safety regulations for pesticide are either inadequate or nonexistent.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) reports that an average of 23 deaths per year are caused by exposure to pesticides in the U.S., the majority, however, are linked to suicide.