Child Dies After Being Left in Hot Car by Babysitter
Grant Hill3 years ago
According to People, a 4-year-old girl died after being left in a hot car on Friday by her babysitter.
About the Fatal Accident
The child’s caretaker left for work with the child still in the car – the young girl was found unresponsive around 3:30 p.m. She was taken to Williamsport Regional Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.
The temperature reached 97 degrees Fahrenheit in Williamsport, Pennsylvania on Friday.
Police are waiting for toxicology results from the girl and caretaker before deciding to press charges.
Hot Car and Children Heatstroke Deaths
The following information was provided by USA Today:
Since 1998, 619 children have died in hot cars, this averages to 38 deaths every year.
Children under 2 account for more than 70 percent of all heat stroke deaths.
More than 50 percent of of heat stoke deaths occur because a caregiver forgot the child in a car.
The temperature in a car can increase by 20 degrees within 10 minutes.