Two daycare employees in Sioux Falls, South Dakota were arrested Friday after surveillance video caught them abusing young children during nap time.
Detectives Describe Disturbing Child Abuse Footage
According to FOX 47 News, Teresa Gallagher, 31, and Kenedi Wendt, 22, were both charged with 25 counts of abuse or cruelty to a minor for repeatedly abusing your children during nap time.
A parent of a child who attended Little Blessings Learning Center in Sioux Falls told police of the abuse in February. The case was referred to the Department of Social Services who contacted the daycare who then reviewed the surveillance video.
Detectives who watched the disturbing footage described instances in which children were slammed to the ground, yanked by their arms, and stomped on. Investigators added that it wasn’t clear what was triggering the abuse, saying even a slight movement from a child could set of the workers.
The children in the video were between the ages 3 and 4.
National Child Abuse Statistics
The following information was provided by ABC News:
- A total of 1,700 fatalities were attributed to child maltreatment in fiscal year 2016, a 7-percent increase from 1,589 the previous year.
- The largest increases in child abuse-related fatalities were in Texas, where fatalities jumped from 162 to 217, and Indiana, where fatalities doubled from 34 to 70.
- A commission created by Congress two years ago concluded that the U.S. lacks a coherent and effective strategy for recorded and reducing child abuse-related deaths. While annual deaths reported by the Department of Health and Human Services tend hover in the range of 1,500 to 1,600 per year, the commission suggested the true number of annual deaths may be as high as 3,000.
- An estimated 70 percent of children killed in child abuse cases were under the age of 3.
- It is estimated that 676,000 children were victims of abuse or neglect in 2016.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
If you believe your child has suffered from physical or sexual abuse, contact Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys immediately. We have the knowledge and experience to handle your child’s case. We will also take immediate action to prevent any further mistreatment.
Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Your choice does matter. Contact our offices for immediate assistance. We represent clients/victims all over the country.