Usher’s Son Hospitalized after Swimming Pool Accident
According to USA Today, Usher Raymond V, the 5-year-old son of singer Usher, remains hospitalized after nearly drowning when his arm got stuck in a swimming pool drain.
About the Swimming Pool Accident
- Usher Raymond V was playing in the swimming pool with his aunt Monday evening.
- The 5-year-old dove under the water to retrieve a toy from the swimming pool drain when his arm got stuck in the drain.
- His aunt was unable to free him, as was a house maid who dove into the water to help.
- Fortunately, two men working on the house were able to make it to the pool and pull the boy from the water.
- Usher, who was not home at the time of the accident, arrived to find his son being given CPR.
- The child was taken to an Atlanta area hospital where he was placed in intensive care.
- The child’s condition is improving and the hospital staff is confident that he will make a full recovery.
Dangers of Swimming Pool Drains
- Swimming pool drains pose a significant threat as they can result in gruesome injuries and death as a child may become trapped or eviscerated by the drain.
- Even if a child is pulled from the water alive, they can suffer long term brain injuries due to lack of oxygen.
- In 2008, a law was instated that all public swimming pools must install anti-entrapment drain covers.
- Since the law has been in place, more than 39 children have died or have been seriously injured after being trapped or eviscerated by the powerful drains. These injuries were all suffered in private pools that are not subject to regulations.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission has taken this as an opportunity to remind parents of swimming pool drain dangers and that the dangers can be avoided with the installation of inexpensive anti-entrapment drain covers.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.