Texas Family Awarded $32 Million after Fatal Domino’s Delivery Accident
A family from Beaumont, Texas has been awarded $32 million after Domino’s Pizza was found liable in an accident caused by one of their delivery drivers.
About the Domino’s Pizza Delivery Accident
- According to NBC, the accident occurred last August in Beaumont, Texas, about 90 miles Northeast of Houston.
- Domino’s Pizza delivery driver, Joshua Balka, lost control of his car colliding with a vehicle carrying Ruth Christopher, 65, and her husband Devavaram Christopher, 70.
- Mrs. Christopher died in the hospital the next day, and Mr. Christopher suffered a permanent traumatic brain injury leaving him unable to communicate.
- Mr. Balka received a citation for speeding.
Jury Finds Domino’s Pizza Partially Liable for the Accident
“We also learned that Domino’s enforces a tragically unsafe delivery method by providing bonuses and other incentives for fast delivery.” – Chip Ferguson, the family’s attorney, as published by NBC
- An investigation determined that the cause of the accident was due to Mr. Balka’s speeding in correlation to defective and worn tires.
- One of Mr. Balka’s tires was so worn that the tire did not have any tread.
- The jury determined that Domino’s Pizza was 60 percent responsible for the accident as the company did not enforce its policy that drivers’ vehicles be inspected.
- As a result, the family of Mr. and Mrs. Christopher were awarded $32 million.
- Domino’s Pizza plans to appeal the decision stating that the employee did not work for their company, but an independent franchise. They further claimed that a franchisor is not responsible for the actions of a franchisee to such a “minute level of detail” of day-to-day operations.
Contact an Experienced Company Vehicle Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry have handled a multitude of company vehicle accidents over the past two decades and continue to handle many of the largest company vehicle accident cases throughout the United States. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a company vehicle accident, contact our offices – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.