Cal/OSHA Investigating Work Accident
Emergency crews arrived at the scene of the accident located at 222 North Wolfe Road between East Arques Avenue and Central Expressway at approximately 7:50 a.m.
Lopez worked for a concrete reinforcement subcontracting company, Alamillo Rebar, working under Level 10 Construction at the construction site, according to KRON4.
KRON4 reports that an investigation is ongoing by the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the construction company. Work at the site is suspended until the investigation is complete.
On the Job Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- 4,821 workers died on the job in 2014.
- Fatal work injuries involving contractors accounted for 17 percent of all fatal work injuries in 2014.
- Fatal falls accounted for 359 construction worker fatalities in 2014. The “Fatal Four” leading causes of private sector worker deaths are:
- Falls – 359 out of 899 total deaths in construction in 2014 (39.9%)
- Electrocutions – 74 (8.2%)
- Struck by Object – 73 (8.1%)
- Caught-in/between – 39 (4.3%)
- One in five worker deaths in 2014 were in the construction industry.