In 2013, Danielle Henchcliffe of Georgetown, Texas, heard a crashing sound coming from her son Stanley’s room. A television on top of a nightstand had fallen on top of then-four-year-old Stanley, leaving him blue and unresponsive. Stanley lived but suffered a five-day coma and traumatic brain injury.
Danielle Henchcliffe surmises that the 32-inch box television fell off the stand due to her son putting his feet in the drawers and rocking it. Stanley’s mother says the incident causes Stanley, now seven, problems with sleeping and has magnified the symptoms of his autism.
She now bolts her son’s television to the wall out of his reach. Her aim is to alert other parents to the dangers of falling furniture.
Stanley’s mother urges parents not to fall victim to the “It can’t happen to me” mindset.