According the Washington Post, Tallmadge D’Elia was found May 5 in a burning bedroom of his family’s home in St. Petersburg, Florida. An autopsy suggests D’Elia was killed when his electronic cigarette exploded, sending projectiles into his head.
The Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner noted that at least two pieces of the exploded vape pen were sent into D’Elia’s head and that the victim had also sustained burns to about 80 percent of his body.
The e-cigarette was described as a “mod”-type pen distributed by a company called Smok-E Mountain. The vape pen was manufactured in the Philippines.
A representative for Smok-E Mountain told reporters that they believe the explosion was caused
The U.S. Fire Administration reports that between 2009 and 2016 there were at least 195 incidents in which e-cigarettes exploded or caught fire. The incidents resulted in 133 injures, 38 of which were considered severe.
The U.S. Fire Administration found that the explosion usually occurred suddenly and without warning. The explosions were often accompanied by a loud noise, a flash of light, smoke, flames, and the ejection of the battery and other parts. 128 of the incidents involved fires.
Currently, there are no regulations that apply to the safety of the electronic mechanics or batteries of electronic cigarettes.
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury or illness due to a defective or dangerous product, contact Thomas J. Henry. Over two decades of experience handling a multitude of defective product cases and extensive legal and financial resources allow us to provide our clients with truly dynamic legal representation. Thomas J. Henry has a proven track record of achieving real results for clients devastated by recalled products.
Let us help you recover the compensation you are entitled to. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Contact us today for a free case review.