Man Dead in Clyde Jet Ski Collision
Details of the Clyde Lake Jet Ski Crash
According to KTAB, Jody Gwinn, 58, was pronounced dead at Hendrick Medical Center Saturday following a jet ski crash that occurred at Clyde Lake around 1:30 pm.
A preliminary investigation suggests Gwinn was jet skiing with friends when his jet ski collided with another jet ski, driven by someone known to him. The exact cause of the crash was not released, but investigators do not believe alcohol was contributing factor.
The other jet skier suffered a concussion, but is suspected to make a full recovery.
Boating Accident Facts and Statistics
The following information is provided by the U.S. Coast Guard Boating Safety Division:
- In 2015, the Coast Guard counted 4,158 accidents that involved 626 deaths and 2,613 injuries.
- In addition, $42 million dollars of damage was caused to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.
- Where cause of death was known, 76% of fatal boating accident victims drowned.
- Of those drowning victims with reported life jacket usage, 85% were not wearing a life jacket.
- Excessive speed was the second highest primary contributing factor to recreational boating injuries in 2015
Leading Causes of Boating Accidents
The Coast Guard says these are the top ten primary contributing factors of boating accidents:
- Operator inattention
- Operator inexperience
- Improper lookout
- Machinery failure
- Excessive speed
- Alcohol use
- Hazardous waters
- Navigation rules violation
- Force of wave/wake
Alcohol use was the number one contributing factor of fatal boating injuries with a known cause.
Contact an Experienced Boating Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one was harmed in a boating accident due to someone’s negligence operation, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced personal injury attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to take your call and evaluate your claim. Our law firm has the legal resources and experienced team of legal professionals necessary to properly develop your case. Call us today for a free case review.