One person dead following a collision involving two motorcyclist in San Antonio.
About the Motorcycle Accident
The fatal accident happened around midnight in the westbound lanes of SW Loop 410 near Moursund Avenue.
According to reports, a group of six to ten motorcyclists were driving as fast as 100 miles per hour just before the accident. When police arrived, they found a deceased man about 200 feet from his motorcycle.
Detectives believe that two motorcycles drove too close to each other and that the rider in the front of the group lost control of his bike and crashed into the grassy median and center cables.
The deceased biker was later identified as Quan Van Bach, 28. Investigators said that several of his family members and employees were in the motorcycling group.
Police do not expect criminal charges to be filed.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics 2017
Information below taken from the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA):
- In 2017, there were 5,172 motorcyclists killed—a decrease of 3 percent from the 5,337 motorcyclists killed in 2016.
- Per vehicle miles traveled in 2017, motorcyclist fatalities occurred nearly 27 times more frequently than passenger car occupant fatalities in traffic crashes.
- Twenty-nine percent of motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes in 2017 were riding without valid motorcycle licenses.
- In 2017, motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were found to have the highest percentage of alcohol-impaired drivers than any other vehicle types (27% for motorcycles, 21% for passenger cars, 20% for light trucks, and 3% for large trucks).
- Forty-three percent of motorcycle riders who died in single-vehicle crashes in 2017 were alcohol impaired.
- Motorcycle riders killed in traffic crashes at night were three times more frequently alcohol-impaired than those killed during the day in 2017.
- NHTSA estimates that helmets saved 1,872 motorcyclists’ lives in 2017, and that 749 more lives could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets.
- In states without universal helmet laws, 57 percent of motorcyclists killed in 2017 were not wearing helmets, as compared to 8 percent in states with universal helmet laws.
Hurt in a Motorcycle Accident? Contact Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced motorcycle injury attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to hear your claim. We can visit you wherever you reside, whether it be at your home, workplace, or at the hospital. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review.