Motorcyclist Killed in Accident, Driver Flees Scene
Incident Remains Under Investigation
The victim was riding his motorcycle at around 3:45 a.m. Tuesday morning when police say he was the victim of a hit-and-run.
Officers say the motorcyclist was heading northbound when another car entered his lane, causing him to lose control near Hildebrand Avenue on Highway 281, according to the San Antonio Express-News. Preliminary police reports say the man died at the scene of the crash.
Fox San Antonio reports that by the time emergency vehicles responded to the scene, the other vehicle involved in the hit-and-run was gone.
Motorcycle Crash Statistics
The following information is provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- 4,295 motorcyclists died in crashes in 2014.
- Ninety-two percent of motorcyclists killed in 2014 were males.
- Helmets are about 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths and about 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries.
- Only 19 states and the District of Columbia mandate helmet use by all riders.
- Per mile traveled in 2014, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 27 times the number in cars.