About the Tyler Motorcycle Accident
According to KYTX, 23-year-old motorcyclist Patrick L. Pugh died around 10 pm Monday evening from injuries sustained when he was struck by a vehicle at the intersection of Van Highway and Loop 323.
First responders arrived to the scene around 7:16 pm and found that Pugh had sustained life-threatening injuries. He was transported to East Texas Medical Center where he died.
The driver of the other vehicle, 74-year-old Donna Blackwood of Hot Springs, Arkansas, was cited for Failure to Yield the Right of Way. She was making a left turn when her vehicle struck Pugh.
The cause of the accident is still under investigations, but a preliminary investigation found that the Blackwood was not intoxicated at the time of the collision.
Texas Auto Accident Attorney
- According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), 3,377 people were killed in traffic collisions in 2013. This marked a 1.05 percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths recorded in 2012.
- 495 motorcyclist (operators and passengers) were killed in crashes in Texas in 2013 – 53 percent were not wearing a helmet at the time of the collision.
- 767 people were killed in accident that occurred in or were related to intersections.
- Using available crash report data, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was injured in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.