According to reports, the last case was identified on Tuesday. The outbreak has been traced back to The Sands Resort on Ashworth Avenue, according to State Health Commissioner Jeffrey Meyers.
The hotel’s water system and space, among other sources, were found to have the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease. Meyers ordered the owner of The Sand, Tom Saab, to remove the bacteria and notify guests.
The individual who died due to the disease was identified as an elderly individual.
About Legionnaires’ Disease
Legionnaires’ disease is typically found in wet areas such as hot tubs and showers, and is acquired by breathing it in. However, the disease cannot be acquired by drinking it, nor can it be transmitted from person to person.
Legionnaires’ disease was first discovered in 1976 after an outbreak at a Pennsylvania convention of the American Legion — hence its name. There were about 6,100 confirmed cases of Legionnaires’ disease in the U.S. last year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Guests of The Sand should watch out for symptoms including fever, nausea, shortness of breath, and chest pain, Health Officials say. The elderly, young and sick are at higher risk of contracting Legionnaires’ disease, which is usually not fatal in health individuals.
Contact an Experienced Premises Liability Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one sustained an injury due to the negligence of a property owner, you may be entitled to compensation. Our experienced team of premises liability accident lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends to evaluate your claim. Premises liability lawsuits can be complicated, but Thomas J. Henry has decades of experience and the legal resources to develop your case properly and put you in the best position possible to achieve real results.