Ridgewood has issued a recall of about 1 million units of Belmont Four-Drawer dressers due to severe tip-over and entrapment dangers that can lead to death or injuries of children.
About the Belmont Four-Drawer Dressers’ Recall
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the Belmont four-drawer dressers come with plastic drawer glides. Also, the recalled dressers come each with their respective model numbers. These numbers are found in the instruction manual of each. However, these drawers, sold primarily at Kmart, are unstable, leading to a tip over if not affixed to the wall. The threats posed by the instability of these dressers can cause injury or death in children.
Although there has been no report of casualties, statistics report that every 24 minutes, a child is admitted to an emergency room due to an injury from tipping furniture.
In addition to the hazard issues, the 30-inches tall models of the dresser “do not comply with the performance requirements of the U.S. voluntary industry standard,” If it is impossible to anchor Beelmont four drawer dressers to a wall, then parents should abstain from using them. And if they do, they should place these drawers in a location that is inaccessible to children.
Description of the Recalled Belmont Four-Drawer Dressers
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) provided the following information:
- Between April 2013 to November 2018, the dressers were sold in Kmart and Sears stores nationwide for about $40
- Each drawer dresser has its model number. You can find this model number on the instruction manual that came with the dresser.
- The Belmont four drawer-dressers have plastic drawer glides, sold in two sizes and four colors.
- They came in several colors, model numbers, and dimensions such as:
- White: 5933015K, 29-3/4”H x 27-5/8”W x 15-5/8”D
- White: 63415KPM, 32-1/4”H x 27-5/8”W x 15-5/8”D
- Black: 5933026K, 29-3/4”H x 27-5/8”W x 15-5/8”D
- Black: 634026KPM, 32-1/4”H x 27-5/8”W x 15-5/8”D
- Light Pine: 5933080K, 29-3/4”H x 27-5/8”W x 15-5/8”D
- Light Pine: 63480KPM, 32-1/4”H x 27-5/8”W x 15-5/8”D
- Brown Oak: 5933102K, 29-3/4”H x 27-5/8”W x 15-5/8”D
- Brown Oak: 634102KPM, 32-1/4”H x 27-5/8”W x 15-5/8”D
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
If your child was injured by an unsafe drawer dresser, contact Thomas J. Henry. With over twenty years of experience in handling a multitude of defective product cases, Thomas J Henry has proven that it can achieve positive results for children devastated by recalled products. Our attorneys have represented children who have been injured by dangerous products nationwide.
We have offices in San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Austin, and Houston, dedicated to serving clients across Texas and the United States.Call us today if an unsafe product hurts your child. Our attorneys will assist you in evaluating your claim and supply you with a free case review.