Drive Safe This Labor Day Weekend
Every year, the U.S. experiences increased rates of drunk driving accidents over Labor Day weekend. Thomas J. Henry would like to remind everybody to enjoy a safe Labor Day holiday.
Labor Day Drunk Driving Statistics
- According to the National Labor Day Crackdown campaign, 10,000 people die each year due to intoxicated driving. This is equivalent to one death every 53 minutes.
- The National Safety Council’s Statistics Department Estimates that 400 will die over Labor Day weekend in motor vehicle accidents. Labor Day weekend experiences nearly 15% more traffic fatalities than similar non-holiday periods.
- In 2011, a BAC level of .08 or higher was recorded in 36% of all Labor Day weekend motor vehicle accidents.
- Approximately 83% of all 2011 Labor Day drunk driving deaths occurred at night.
- 42% of young drivers killed in accidents during 2011’s Labor Day weekend were drunk.
Labor Day Driving Safety Tips
As the 2013 National Labor Day Crackdown begins, the National Safety Council recommends the following:
- If you are drinking, do not drive.
- Enforce a strict zero tolerance policy for young drivers in your family.
- Wear a seat belt – this is your best defense against a drunk driver.
- If traveling, allow plenty of time for your trip. This will deter speeding and aggressive driving.
- Drive defensively – when operating a motor vehicle of any type, exercise caution and keen observation.
Contact an Experienced DUI/DWI Accident Attorney
If you suspect you have been injured because of a drunk driver, contact an attorney with the experience and aggressiveness to handle your case. Contact Thomas J. Henry. We will ensure that you get the full monetary compensation you deserve. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.