• San Antonio: 210-874-2615
  • Nationwide Toll Free: 866-517-5659
  • Austin: 512-520-0221
  • Corpus Christi: 361-254-7873

Texas Woman Dies of Flesh Eating Bacteria After Eating Oyster


A Texas woman died after eating raw oysters and contracting flesh-eating bacteria.

About the Fatal Flash-Eating Bacteria

According to the KLFY, Jeannette LeBlanc purchased the oysters from a market in Westwego while on a trip to Louisiana in September. Soon after, LeBlanc developed a rash and about 36 hours later she was having trouble breathing.

Initially, LeBlanc and her friends thought it was an allergic reaction; however, doctors informed her that she had contracted flesh-eating bacteria called Vibrio. Vibrio is contracted by eating contaminated fish that is raw or under-cooked or by exposing open wounds to brackish water.

21 days later, on October 15th, 2017, LeBlanc died from the infection.

What are Vibrio Bacteria?

Vibrio bacteria are bacteria naturally found in certain coastal waters and tend to be a higher concentration between May and October, when waters are warm.

There are about a dozen Vibrio species which can causes illness in humans. The illness is referred to as vibriosis.

While most cases of vibriosis are mild with patients recovering within 3 days; more serious infections, those caused by Vibrio vulnificus, can become seriously ill and may need amputation. About 1 in 4 people who contract Vibrio vulnificus infections die.

In total, about 80,000 cases of vibriosis are recorded each year in the United States with about 52,000 being the result of contaminated food.

Contact Us for a Free Case Review

info@tjhlaw.com

Contact Form
Loading...
Do you really want to end conversation?
chat-icon Live chat
avatar Waiting