One person is dead following a trucking accident at the intersection of S. Bryant Blvd. and S. Jackson St. in San Angelo, Texas early Thursday morning.
About the San Angelo Trucking Accident
According to the San Angelo LIVE!, 37-year-old Treva Hernandez was fatally injured shortly before 5:00 am Thursday when a 2010 Freightliner collided with a 2001 Chevy S-10 In San Angelo.
Current reports indicate that the driver of the semi, Brad Matthiesen, 32, was completing a protected left turn onto N. Bryant when Hernandez, traveling southbound on Bryant, ran a red light and struck the semi.
The San Angelo Fire Department responded to the scene, transporting an 8-month-old passenger of the S-10 to Shannon Medical Center. Her injuries have not been disclosed. Hernandez was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the semi was uninjured.
The San Angelo Police Motor Section is investigating the incident. They have obtained video from a nearby business, but details of the accident were not immediately available.
National Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,921 people were killed in trucking accidents in 2012. This marked a 4 percent increase from the 3,781 deaths recorded in 2011.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents in 2012:
- 697 were occupants of large trucks
- 2,843 were occupants of other vehicles
- 381 were non-occupants such as bicyclists and pedestrians
- Another 104,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2012 – up 18 percent from 88,000.