New York State Trooper David Cunniff, 35, died Tuesday from injuries he sustained after being rear-ended by a tractor-trailer while on duty.
About the Tractor-Trailer Accident
- According to the Houston Chronicle, the accident occurred around 8:20 pm Monday along Interstate 90.
- Cunniff had pulled over a car for speeding and was in his cruiser behind the vehicle when a tractor-trailer veered of the road striking both the cruiser and the pulled-over car.
- Cunniff’s cruiser was sent 50 yards into an embankment and he was partially thrown from the vehicle.
- The other car was pushed 75 yards and its driver was injured.
- Authorities are currently investigating the incident. They have yet to determine why the truck left the road.
Trucking Accident Statistics
- According to data collected by the U.S. Department of Transportation, there were 3,341 fatal trucking accidents in 2011 that resulted in 3,757 deaths.
- In addition, 88,000 motorists were injured as the result of large truck accidents.
- Common causes of trucking accidents include, driving while intoxicated, distracted driving, speeding and driver fatigue.
Contact an Experienced Trucking Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry have handled a multitude of 18-wheeler accidents over the past two decades and continue to handle many of the largest 18-wheeler accident cases throughout the United States. Whether the company is small or large, our success is not an accident; it is because we understand how trucking companies operate. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
Thomas J. Henry are available to respond to trucking accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.