Iowa authorities report three deaths in a crash between a van and an overturned semi.
About the Fatal Iowa Trucking Accident
Authorities report three fatalities in an Iowa crash between a van and an overturned semi tractor-trailer on a southeastern highway.
The San Antonio Express-News reports that State Patrol spokesman Nathan Ludwig reported dense fog and believes that could be a cause in the crashes just went of Mount Pleasant. The semi was on Highway 34 when it overturned, and the van and car collided with it.
The state patrol crash report identified the three individuals killed as the van driver, 74 year-old Vicki Morrow, and her passengers, 44 year-old Kathryn Yutzy, and 44 year-old Daniel Yutzy. Five other people were also injured.
National Trucking Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2015:
- 11.2 million large trucks were registered in the United States
- An estimated 433,000 police-reported traffic crashes occurred involving large trucks
- 4,067 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks
- Large trucks accounted for eight percent of all vehicles involved in fatal accidents
- An estimated 116,000 people sustained injuries in crashes involving large trucks
- Of the fatalities that occurred in large truck crashes in 2015, 84 percent were occupants of other vehicles or non-occupants, such as pedestrians or bicyclists
- About one out of every four fatal crashes involving a large truck occurs on an interstate highway
- States with the most fatalities in traffic crashes involving large trucks:
- Texas — 561
- California — 296
- Florida — 225
- Georgia — 182
- Ohio — 167
Injured in a Truck Accident? Contact Thomas J. Henry
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced commercial trucking injury attorneys are available to respond to semi-truck accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.