According to Press Connects, Vestal police are investigating a crash that ended with fatalities last Friday morning.
Vestal Police and the Fatal Crash Investigation
A fatal crash in Vestal, New York, took place last Friday and is being investigated by Vestal police. The crash was between a tractor-trailer and one other vehicle, both heading East on Route 17.
The two-vehicle crash occurred on the highway between exits 66 and 67, according to Vestal police Sargent Chris Streno. Streno also stated that the officers responded around 4:00 am.
There has been no information released about the victims. Streno also stated that not only were both the Vestal Police and the state accident reconstruction team investigating, but also the commercial truck enforcement unit.
All lanes near the area of the crash were reopened around 11:00 am that same morning, according to the State Department of Transportation.
The trailer involved in the accident was leased by a scrap metal company, Upstate Shredding, to an independent trucking company, Swiston Trucking. Spokesman for Upstate Shredding, Stephen Donnelly, has announced that the truck was not an Upstate Shredding truck and that the driver of the truck involved in the crash was not under their employment.
Tractor-Trailer Crash Statistics
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Highway Loss Data Institute:
- Around 1 in 10 deaths that occur on the highway involve a large truck.
- Most deaths in large truck crashes are the passenger vehicle occupants.
- In 2014, 3,660 people died in large truck crashes.
- The number of people who died in large truck crashes was 16% higher in 2014 than in 2009.
- In 2014, 1,966 deaths in two-vehicle crashes involving a large truck and a passenger vehicle were the passenger vehicle occupants.
- In 2014, 60 deaths in two-vehicle crashes involving a large truck and a passenger vehicle were the large truck occupants.
- In 2014, 2,026 total occupant deaths occurred in two-vehicle crashes involving a large truck and a passenger vehicle