A dangerous accident involving a family in Utah, whose 2-year-old son was trapped under a fallen dresser until rescued by his twin, has inspired increased awareness for home-safety for children.
A dresser fell on top of a 2-year-old boy who was rescued by his twin brother who, after a small struggle, managed to push the shelf enough for his brother to free himself.
Kali Shoff, mother to the twins, released a tape of the incident that happened to be caught on the babycam to raise awareness for the potential danger of unsecured dressers or cabinets.
KSHB News explains that hardback furniture can be fastened by drilling a hole into the wall then securing the furniture to the wall with a lag bolt and bit. It is suggested that this be repeated for all corners of the furniture as needed.
Flimsy back furniture can be fastened with an L bracket. Anchors and furniture straps are also sold at most hardware stores.
John McCarthy, a member of Charlie’s House which was founded by parents of a child lost to a tipping furniture accident, claims that 24,000 kids per year visit the emergency room due to tip-overs.
He also states that around one child dies every two weeks due to a tip over.