The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has fined two business in connection to the death of a worker who died of heat exhaustion.
Businesses Fined for Worker’s Death
“It is truly a matter of life and death that workers and employers take proactive steps to stay safe in extreme heat and be aware of the symptoms of heat exhaustion.” – Mark Briggs, director of OSHA South Houston Office as reported by the Houston Chronicle
- According to the Houston Chronicle, two businesses, Republic Services, Inc. and Recana Solutions, were fined on Monday for their role in a work-related death of an employee back in June. One of the businesses fined, Republic Services, is based in Houston, Texas.
- The employee who died from heat exhaustion, worked for Recana Solutions, a company that provides temporary day-laborers.
- It is reported that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has brought judgments against the two companies and has seven violations against the companies for the worker’s death.
The Fines Levied against the Two Businesses
- Republic Services, Inc. has been cited for failure to provide first aid training and protect their workers from heat exhaustion dangers. Additionally, Republic Services has been fined $14,000 for both said violations. OSHA considers the violations serious because of the elevated probability death or chance of severe injury that could result from the lack of training and precautions.
- OSHA has levied another fine of $6,000 against Republic Services for failure to report the worker’s death to the agency within an eight hour time frame and for failure keep adequate documentation and records concerning the incident.
- Recana Solutions was cited with only a single serious violation. They have been fined $7,000 for failure to protect their workers from heat hazards, failure to provide equipment to protect workers, and failure to report the temporary worker’s death to the federal agency in an eight hour time period.
- Republic Services total penalties have added up to $20,000 while Recana Solutions had incurred a total of $13,000.
- Republic Services plans to contest the violations.
Work Related Death in Texas and the U.S.
Contact an Experienced Workplace Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry fight to protect the rights of workplace injury victims. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed on the job, contact Thomas J. Henry. The goal of our offices is to not only protect your rights, but to send a message so the same tragedy does not happen again. We represent clients nationwide.