Details of the Fatal Corpus Christi Crash
According to the Corpus Christi Caller-Times, the fatal collision occurred near the 6500 block of Interstate Highway 37 at around 12:48 AM.
The woman, identified as Laurie Beth Reynolds, was traveling southbound behind an 18-wheeler when a 12-passenger van driving the wrong direction struck her car. The van caught fire after the accident, but he driver was extracted by officers and transported to Christus Sphohn Hospital Shoreline with minor injuries.
KRIS-TV reports that officers were already in route when the accident occurred, after receiving calls about a van traveling north in the southbound lanes of I-37 near Clarkwood.
The driver of the van, an unidentified 30-year-old male, was determined to have been drinking prior to the collision and has been charged with intoxication manslaughter.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced Corpus Christi car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.