Blue Bell Ice Cream Recall
Blue Bell Creameries and the FDA have announced the recall of ice cream products made in their Broken Arrow, Oklahoma plant in addition to those from the Brenham, Texas plant.
About the Recall
According reports, three deaths have been linked to a strain of listeria that was traced by to production lines in the two plants.
Listeriosis is a serious infection usually caused by eating food contaminated with the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes.
Though rare, the listeria infection is potentially fatal to older adults, newborns, and adults with weakened immune systems. The bacteria can also result in miscarriage.
Many grocers have begun pulling Blue Bell ice cream products from their shelves, vowing not to carry the products until the recall is over.
The FDA warns that contaminated ice cream has been sent to convenient stores and markets across Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wyoming.
Among the most recent products to be added to the recall are:
- Ice Cream Banana Pudding pint
- Code date: 021217S
- Ice Cream Butter Crunch pint
- Code date: 021917S
- Ice Cream Mint Chocolate Chip pint
- Code date: 022017S
- Ice Cream Cookies 'n Cream pint
- Code dates: 030317S, 030617S
- Ice Cream Homemade Vanilla pint
- Code date: 030417S
- Ice Cream Dutch Chocolate pint
- Code date: 032317S
- Ice Cream Moo-llennium Crunch pint
- Code date: 032417S, 032517S
- Rainbow Sherbet pint
- Code dates: 021717S, 021817S, 022317S, 030217S
- Orange Sherbet quart
- Code date: 032617S
- Mixed Berry Sherbet quart
- Code date: 032717S
- Rainbow Sherbet
- Code dates: 022417S, 022617S, 022717S
- Ice Cream Homemade Vanilla half gallon
- Code dates: 030917T, 031017T, 031117T, 031217T, 031717T, 031717T, 031817T
- Ice Cream Pistachio Almond half gallon
- Code date: 031317T
- Ice Cream Homemade Vanilla Light half gallon
- Code date: 031917T