BMW Recalls 51,000 Motorcycles Due to Fuel Leak Leaks
Details about the Motorcycle Recall
“I started the motorcycle engine – a few seconds after it started, gasoline started to gush from the front of the bike onto the engine.” – Customer letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as published by the New York Times
- The recall comes almost 14 months after the NHTSA began to investigate consumer complaints about the leaks.
- The problem stems from cracks developing in a plastic flange on the fuel pump, possibly after a maintenance procedure is performed incorrectly. BMW also said that corrosive fluids could damage a seal, causing “a small leak.”
- One owner said that a few seconds after starting the engine gasoline started gushing from the bike onto the engine. Others revealed that after finishing a ride they would find their pant leg soaked in gasoline.
- Although the automaker claims that the leaks do not pose “an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety”, they have continued with the recall.
Details about the Product
The nationwide recall includes the following models:
- 2005-2011 R 1200 GS
- 2006-2011 R 1200 GS Adven.
- 2006 HP2 Enduro
- 2008-2009 HP2 Megamoto
- 2005-2011 R 1200 RT
- 2007-2011 R 1200 R
- 2005-2007 R 1200 ST
- 2007 R 1200 S
- 2008-2010 GP2 Sport
- 2005-2008 K 1200 S
- 2009-2011 K 1300 S
- 2006-2008 K 1200 R
- 2007 K 1200 R Sport
- 2006-2008 K 1200 GT
- 2009-2011 S 1000 RR
- 2012 K 1600 GT
- 2012 K 1600 GTL
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of a recalled product, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.