Boating Accident Caused by Equipment Malfunction
David Trummell remains in the hospital after saving his daughter in a Lake Ozarks boating accident while on family vacation.
Details of the Boating Accident
“I jumped between the motor and [my daughter] and pushed her away from the motor, and it pushed me toward the motor.” – David Trummell as reported by Fox 4 News.
- The Trummell family of St. Joseph, Minnesota were visiting Lake Ozarks on there first family vacation which ended within a couple hours of their arrival.
- Mr. Trummell’s 12-year-old daughter, Lily, was climbing back in to the boat via a ladder after tubing when her foot slipped and was cut by the propeller, causing her to fall in the water.
- Mr. Trummell heard his daughter's shouts for help and immediately jumped in to the water placing himself between his daughter and the boat's motor.
- Mr. Trummell ended up under the boat where the propeller sliced is leg, stomach, and ribs.
- He is still recovering in a St. Joseph hospital.
- Accident investigators determined the accident occurred when an equipment malfunction with the motor caused the propeller to keep spinning.
Injuries Sustained in the Accident
- Lily received 28 stitches in her foot.
- David Trummell has been hospitalized since the accident and has undergone several surgeries.
- Doctors expect Mr. Trummell to be recovering for another 3 to 6 months.
- Mr. Trummell will be unable to work for several months.
Contact an Experienced Maritime Accident Attorney
Anyone who is involved in any type of maritime accident should immediately seek medical care. Even if an accident seems to be minor, you can prevent further health complications from developing by seeking immediate attention. It is also essential to document any maritime injury in the accident report immediately after in occurs. The more detailed your report is, the better chance you have of receiving maximum compensation.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a maritime accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We will thoroughly evaluate your case and help you recover the compensation you need and deserve. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.