Burn Awareness Week: February 2-7
In recognition of Burn Awareness Week, the American Burn Association has released an updated list of burn accident statistics in hopes that people will be better able to recognize the dangers of burn injuries and where burn injuries are most likely to occur.
2013 Burn Injury Statistics
According to the ABA, current estimates suggest that as many as 450,000 people receive medical treatment for burn injuries through hospital admissions or emergency room visits. The ABA stresses that the estimate does not include those who seek treatment from clinics, community health centers or private medical offices.
Of those receiving medical treatment, approximately 40,000 people are hospitalized due to their injuries every year – 30,000 of those hospitalized are admitted to burn centers. Such centers generally average over 200 admissions for burn injuries and skin disorders every year.
Perhaps more alarming is that burns and smoke inhalation kill roughly 3,400 people every year. Of these deaths:
- 2,550 are attributed to residential fires
- 400 to contact with scalding liquids, hot objects or electricity
- 300 to vehicle crash fires
- 150 to non-residential fires
Fatalities caused by smoke inhalation and burn injuries are combined in such reports as, in many instances, it can be impossible to distinguish which factor was the final cause of death.
Common Causes of Burn Injuries
- Scalds are the number one cause of burn injuries, though they are rated as the second leading cause of burn related hospital admissions (roughly 34%).
- Beyond that is contact with open flames or hot objects, which is the leading cause of hospital admission accounting for 43% of all burn related admissions.
- These were followed by chemical burns, electrical burns and, finally, overexposure to the sun.
Contact an Experienced Burn Injury Attorney
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing burn victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including burn injuries caused by auto accidents, workplace injuries, or defective products.