Bus that Kills Bicyclist Missing Safety Feature
The San Francisco Gate reports that the bus involved in a fatal collision with an elderly bicyclist was missing a life saving safety device which is required by company policy.
About the San Francisco Bus Accident
- Cheng Jin Lai, a 78-year-old San Francisco resident, died last Wednesday after a Muni bus stuck him as he rode his bicycle.
- According to reports, the bus was making a right turn at an intersection when it hit Lai who was pronounced dead at the scene.
- San Francisco Bicycle Coalition held a demonstration in efforts to press city officials to make improvements to bicyclist safety in the city.
San Francisco Bus Lacked S-1 Gard
- After reviewing images of the bus, Krista Berry, operations director for Public Transportation Safety International Corps, reported that the bus was not equipped with an S-1 Gard, a safety device manufactured by her company.
- The S-1 Gard or “people catcher” is a plastic bumper-like safety device which helps to push pedestrians who fall under the bus away from the wheels.
- Muni first began using the S-1 Gard between 2007 and 2008, and requires all of its buses to be equipped device.
Bus Accident Statistics
- The latest available data from the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration (NHTSA) suggests that bus-related accidents are on the rise in the United States.
- In 2011, the NHTSA recorded 56,000 accidents which resulted in 242 death and 1,300 injuries – this is up from 54,000 incidents recorded in 2010.
Bus accidents are often attributed to:
- Distracted Driving
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance
- Failure to Adhere to Traffic Laws
- Driver Fatigue
Contact an Experienced Bus Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry have handled a multitude of commercial vehicle accidents over the past two decades and continue to handle many of the largest 18-wheeler accident cases throughout the United States. Whether the company is small or large, our success is not an accident; it is because we understand how trucking companies operate. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
Thomas J. Henry are available to respond to truck and bus accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million