Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in the Home
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is alerting the public about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide in certain household appliances.
“More than 150 people in the United States die every year from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning associated with consumer products,” CPSC.
What Products Produce Carbon Monoxide?
- Faulty, improperly-used, or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters, and fireplaces.
- Portable generators used inside of homes, garages, basements, or sheds.
- Charcoal grills used inside of homes, garages, basements, or sheds.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Because Carbon Monoxide is odorless and colorless, people may not know they are being exposed to it. Symptoms of low to moderate poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). High levels of Carbon Monoxide result in more severe symptoms, which include:
- Mental confusion
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Loss of consciousness
- Have your home heating systems inspected and serviced annually.
- Never use portable generators inside homes or garage.
- Never bring a charcoal grill into the house for heating or cooking.
- Install battery-operated CO alarms in houses.
- Know the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.