CDC Links Salmonella Outbreak to New Mexico Hatchery
A press release has been issued by the New Mexico Department of Health identifying a New Mexico hatchery as the origin for a national salmonella outbreak.
About the Salmonella Outbreak
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 316 people across 37 states were sickened by the outbreak and at least 51 have been hospitalized.
- 37 of the infections occurred in Colorado, 32 occurred in Texas, and 19 infections were reported in both Washington and New Mexico.
- Approximately 97% of the individuals infected claimed they had recently purchased live poultry.
- About 81% were in contact with a bird within a week of falling ill.
- 59% of those infected were children under the age of 10.
- The CDC warns that it normally take 2-3 weeks for an incident like salmonella poisoning to be reported, so current numbers may not account for infections that occurred after July 22.
Salmonella Outbreak Linked to New Mexico Hatchery
- According to the New Mexico Department of Health, the strain of salmonella was traced by ato a duck pen at Privett Hatchery in Portales, New Mexico.
- The hatchery supplies chicks, ducklings, and other live baby poultry to feed stores and mail order costumers.
- So far, 113 feed stores and 18 mail-order hatcheries have been tied to the outbreak.
- The CDC is warning against parents buy poultry as pets as the infection can be spread easily to children as they handle the birds.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of a recalled product, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.