CDC Proposes New Transplant Regulations
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have announced newly proposed organ transplant guidelines which call for more rigorous screening of donors and additional organ testing to help protect patients from infections transmitted through transplants. One major change recommended in the draft guidelines is the expansion of the screening process from HIV only to include tests for hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV).
- From 2007 to 2010, the CDC participated in more than 200 investigations of suspected unexpected disease transmission including HIV, HBV, and HCV through transplants.
- Of those that were confirmed, some led to the death of the transplant recipient.
- To update transplant standards, the CDC led a multidisciplinary group of experts through a systematic review of the best available evidence.
- More sensitive laboratory tests will be conducted on organs.
- Patients will undergo HBV and HCV screening, in addition to HIV.
- Clinicians will review a revised set of donor risk factors that will give a more thorough picture about possible risks associated with donors′ organs.
Contact Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, trucking accidents, maritime accidents, and other catastrophic accidents. Contact our offices 24-7, day or night.