Chantix Suicide Lawsuit Settled
Chantix, an anti-smoking drug, can cause depression and other psychiatric disorders. Sometimes the side effects can be so severe that it can cause patients to attempt or commit suicide. According to Bloomberg, “The plaintiffs allege that Pfizer knew of a link between Chantix and suicide and failed to sufficiently warn patients.”
(According to PubMed Health)
• Chantix blocks the pleasant effects of smoking on the brain.
• The user can have changes in behavior, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts while taking Chantix.
• When the user starts taking Chantix, they are supposed to set a quit date to stop smoking.
Lawsuit Centered Around Suicide
A man from Alabama committed suicide in 2007 after taking Chantix. Ed Silverman, writer from Pharmalot, reported that Chantix has been facing safety concerns almost since it was approved in 2006. The manufacturer of Chantix, Pfizer, thought the drug would generate high sales, but media stories about side effects lowered these expectations. According to Pharmalot, Pfizer had a 10% drop in revenue and 2,600 lawsuits in a 6-month period.
Settled Lawsuit is First of 2,600 Cases
(According to Bloomberg and Nasdaq)
• 2,600 lawsuits were filed against Pfizer, claiming that Chantix caused users to commit suicide, experience mental problems and failed to properly warn users of these risks.
• The first lawsuit was filed by the widow of the man who committed suicide. She accused Pfizer of failing to warn of the risks.
• Pfizer denied the allegations and said there was no evidence that Chantix has suicide related side-effects.
• Chantix provided warnings in 2007 and 2008, then updated the warnings in 2009. Plaintiffs claim earlier warnings should have been made.
• Pfizer settled the case, but details were not made public.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.