Child Danger Alert- Tide Detergent Pods
Proctor and Gamble is changing the lids on their Tide Pods single dose laundry detergent packages after several reports of children becoming ill as a result of ingesting the colorful detergent packages.
“Poison centers are reporting a recent uptick in calls about exposures of children to laundry detergents packaged in small, single-dose packets. Some young children and toddlers who swallow these small packets have become very ill and have required hospitalization,” American Association of Poison Control Centers.
The Dangers of Single Dose Detergent Pods
Tide Pods, which hit the market this year, deliver a laundry-load dose of detergent in one packet. They come in a fishbowl-like container, and reportedly resemble candy to some young children. Several news outlets are reporting that Proctor and Gamble, the manufacturers of Tide Pods, have decided to put a double latch on the lids of Tide Pods containers to keep children from opening the containers and ingesting the packets inside.
Child Poisoning Incidents
The following single dose laundry detergent poisoning incidents were reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
- Ten minutes after a 20-month-old swallowed a laundry detergent packet, the child developed profuse vomiting, wheezing and gasping and then became unresponsive to even painful stimuli.
- A 15-month-old who bit into a pack and swallowed a mouthful had profuse vomiting and, after arrival at a hospital, had to be put on a ventilator for airway protection.
- A 17-month-old bit into a packet and then rapidly developed drowsiness, vomited, breathed the product into the lungs, and had to be put on a ventilator.
Additional Information for Parents
- Tide pods are single dose packages of detergent; they are blue, orange and white.
- Large tide pods are packaged in a clear fish bowl-like container, while traditional tide pods are packaged in resalable bags.
- Individuals most at risk for detergent poisoning are children. Parents/Caregivers should make it harder for children to reach washing detergents by placing them high up and out of reach.
Contact an Experienced Child Safety Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in both product liability litigation and child injury. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury due to a recalled product, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57