Child Dies After Contracting E. Coli at Maine County Fair
Officials Investigate Maine E. Coli Infections
According to CBS Boston, shortly after visiting a petting zoo at Oxford County Fair, Guay began to experience serious symptoms including severe diarrhea. He died from the massive brain seizures that followed the onset of his symptoms.
Another child had also contracted E. coli at the fair; however, officials have not yet linked the petting zoo as the cause of these infections.
Maine’s Center for Disease Control is now investigating the case. According to experts, the best way to keep protected from being infected is to thoroughly wash the hands.
About E. Coli
- While most strains of Escherichia coli are harmless to people, several pathogenic strains can result in serious illness and death.
- E. coli can be especially deadly in young children and the elderly.
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome, caused by E. coli, is most common with children under 5 years old and the elderly. HUS occurs in 15% of E. Coli Patients under 5 years old.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57