Child Safety Hazard- Falls from Windows
Nearly 100,000 children were treated in U.S. emergency rooms from 1990-2008 due to falls from windows, a new study found. The 19-year-study, published in Pediatrics, indicated that falls from windows are alarmingly common for children ages 0-17, leading to an estimated 5,180 emergency visits during each year covered in the study.
“These injuries are an important pediatric public health problem and increased prevention efforts are
needed…” authors of the study stated.
About the Study
- Researchers used data from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System
- Study data was from the years 1990-2008
- Data included cases involving children 0-17 years
- Cases included in the study involved children who fell/jumped out a window, from a window, off a window, or from/off a window ledge or fell/pushed through a window screen
- 98,415 children were treated in U.S. emergency rooms for falls from windows from 1990-2008
- Boys accounted for nearly 60% of cases
- Children 0 to 4 years of age accounted for 64.8% of the injuries
- Children under 4 years of age were more likely to sustain head injuries and to be hospitalized and die
- The spring and summer months had the highest number of falls
Types of Injuries
- Dental injuries
- Internal injuries
- Skull fractures
Contact An Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57