Children Under 15 Pose Greatest Drowning Risk
Almost 5,200 emergencies are reported each year due to pool and spa related injuries in children under 15, poolsafely.gov reports.
Children Under 15 Pose Drowning Risk
Children are particularly vulnerable to drowning. During this past summer, there were 137 deaths and 168 non-fatal emergencies reported. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the majority of incidents occur in children under 5, who were responsible for 100 of the 137 deaths.
Pool Related Emergency Statistics
- Around 5,200 pool and spa related emergencies are reported a year in children under 15, according to the CPSC’s 2012 submersion report.
- Drowning is the number one cause of unintentional death in children under five.
- Over 1 in 3 deaths occurred just after an adult left a child alone, and almost 1 in 4 occurred with others present at the pool.
- Over 63 percent of annual drowning occurs during the summer months, according to CPSC statistics from 2007 to 2009.
In order to combat drowning in children, the CPSC launched its Pool Safely campaign to educate parents and children on how to be safe in and around the water. The website, poolsafely.gov, recommends keeping children near bodies of water safe by paying close attention, using the proper equipment and learning water safety skills.
- Never leave children unattended near the water, including pool drains, pipes and any openings.
- Learn water safety skills, including CPR, and teach them to your kids – every family member should know basic water safety and how to swim.
- Every pool or spa should have fencing, locks and covers whenever possible, as well as lifesaving equipment like flotation devices and a reaching pole.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57