Concussions Lead to More School Problems Than Any Other Injury
Details of the New Research
Researchers surveyed 70 students who had received treatment for concussions and 108 students who had received treatment for minor sports injuries. On average if someone has suffered from a concussion it takes them approximately one school week to return to school, whereas the people who did not suffer a concussion, but a minor sports injury only took about 2 days to return to school.
According to lead researcher Erin Wasserman stated that “After a concussion, there is an energy crisis in the brain; the brain needs more energy to heal than it has available.” To assess how concussions impact school work Wasserman and some colleagues conducted a study of student athletes at three different emergency departments in Rochester, New York from September 2013 until January 2015.
The researchers primarily asked questions about the symptoms the student athletes had and their academic performance one week and one month after the injury. Some of the problems that the students faced after their concussions were vision problems or difficult with eye movements. Other problems included frequent headaches and dizziness that complicated school work and the students often asked to take breaks.
The following information was provided by the Head Health Management System:
- 3,800,000 concussions reported in 2012, double what was reported in 2002
- 33% of all sports concussions happen at practice
- 47% of all reported sports concussions occur during high school football
- 1 in 5 high school athletes will sustain a sports concussion during the season
- 33% of high school athletes who have a sports concussion report two or more in the same year
- 4 to 5 million concussions occur annually, with rising numbers among middle school athletes
- 90% of most diagnosed concussions do not involve a loss of consciousness
- An estimated 5.3 million Americans live with a traumatic brain injury-related disability (CDC)
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57